What to Do if You’ve Been in a Semi-Truck Accident
If you regularly travel the highway or are a US truck driver who relies on the highways each day for work, you’ll know that there are a lot of accidents just waiting to happen.
In fact, there are over 11 million truck drivers who use the highways every day in the USA and which carry all kinds of potentially lethal loads.
And it only takes one other overtired, overworked trucker to change your own life in an instant. And although there are regulations that exist to ensure truck drivers don’t drive more than 10 hours a day, they are often given financial incentives to drive further and for longer, which can inevitably impact other drivers’ safety.
Think about it – if your truck weighs on average 20-30 times more than a typical car, the impact of that hitting you can cause severe damage – to both you and your truck.
So, if you are unfortunate enough to be involved in a truck accident, the first thing you need is an experienced and highly professional attorney.
Main Causes for Truck Accidents
There are a number of reasons why you might be involved in a truck accident, but the main causes tend to be because of:
- Driver error – truck drivers are notorious for driving fast and furiously regardless of the heavy loads they carry and the size and impact of their trucks. They are also known to drive long hours, and accidents can happen as a result of tiredness.
- Poorly maintained trucks – because of the number of miles that these trucks are driven each week, it doesn’t take long for them to become dangerous.
- Dangerous cargo – occasionally, trucks’ loads can cause spillage onto the roads, which is usually due to poorly loaded cargo and can cause severe accidents and injuries.
- Equipment failure – there could be defective parts on a truck which can be deadly – this could be the fault of the truck manufacturer or the truck company owner.
Find the Services of a Truck Accident Attorney
Probably more than any other vehicle accident, a truck-related crash will need the services of a first-class attorney because of the amount of money that can be involved in these kinds of accidents.
Truck drivers are insured for millions, and more than one party can be held responsible for a driver’s negligence.
- Documentation is essential in legal cases such as these – your legal team will help gather all records related to your claim and can include medical records and medical bills as well as insurance policies.
- Your attorney will investigate your accident in detail – they’ll investigate the dashcam footage, security camera footage, witness statements, police records and will build a case around what they find.
- No one wants to go to court unless absolutely essential, so your attorney will negotiate as much as possible outside the courtroom with the defense for the compensation you are entitled to. However, your attorney will be experienced in court trials, so unless your settlement negotiations are successful, this is also a serious possibility.
If you are a truck driver and have been involved in an accident, let the experts help. Call the legal experts at Midwest Trial Lawyers at (913) 380-4004.